Thursday, October 8, 2015

Vidal Sassoon Salonist™ 3/662 Darkest Intense Violet

This is the story of my life:















 It's hard to make any color changes because my hair is coffee brown (looks black except in bright light) and I don't want the damage of bleaching it. My only options are reddish brown or true black. That doesn't stop me from constantly searching for ways to make a more drastic change. In the end, after reading reviews and thinking about the mess I usually make, I don't bother.

Me (in my dreams)
Recently I got on a kick for eggplant colored hair (thanks Pinterest!) like the one at right. Although the color looks dark in most of the pictures, the reviews I read for OTC colors still said it works best on lighter hair. I did a lot of research and came up with a few options I could buy at the drugstore. Armed with my list I hit the CVS. Of course I couldn't find any on my list! But, I did come across one by Vidal Sassoon that said "violet" instead of "burgundy" or "cherry." Being my only option I bought it and brought it home.

First, it was very nice to see it came with a brush and a little mixing dish. If I learned one thing from eSalon, it's that applying with a brush is much better. It's less messy and applies the color better. The directions on this one were a little different. It said to mix two the color and developer and, using 3/4 of the mix, apply to the roots first with the brush. After finishing that there was a third bottle of "Sassoon serum" which you add to the leftover mix. Then you scoop that out and apply it to the rest of your hair. Sounds messy, right? Amazingly enough, it wasn't. I got less hair color on myself and all over my bathroom than any other product I've used. Then I waited 30 minutes. A little side note, the gloves were nice and thick latex but were almost impossible to get off! I tore them up and turned them inside out so I wasn't able to use them for rinsing. I've said it before, if you often color your hair at home, it's worth it to buy a box of latex gloves from the drugstore. It took almost all the mixture for my mid-back length hair.

After 30 minutes I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed (this stuff was DARK!). Then washed with a color-safe shampoo and used their conditioner which was really nice. When I took the towel off I didn't notice much of a difference except a bit of a reddish-purple glow. When I dried it, the color was dark but vibrant. I know that doesn't seem to make sense but I'm not sure how else to explain it. All my greys were completely covered. It's been almost four weeks since I've colored it and I'm just starting to notice a few greys poking through. Some color does come out every time I cowash it (I only shampoo once every few weeks now but that's for another post) but the color is still holding in my hair. It looks a little more on the red side but not like the black cherry colors I've always hated. Keep in mind the pics below are four weeks in. If I use this color again, I will update with fresher pictures. I tried but I wasn't able to get any good ones (I couldn't use any filters that would change the color lol).


I really liked using this product and the way it performed. It was definitely worth the price and the relatively short time it took to do it. It was enough of a difference to quell my restlessness for a bit. I highly recommend trying this if you like to color at home.




 http://vidalsassoon.com/en-us/products/hair-color/vidal-sassoon-salonist-3_662-darkest-intense-violet



No comments:

Post a Comment